Tuesday 2 March 2010

Queen.. and im your king!

Ohhh... today i just feel so 'Queen'ish.. went through all of their hits and my all time favorites.. i just have to say, there aint no band out there that could pull the kind of music that Queen did. meatloaf was close enough, but still, he lacks something... the X factor to it..

Freddy could pull just any line and make it so theatrics.. remember the song bicycle race? "i want to ride my bicycle, i want to ride my bike", freddy just nailed that simple line into something epic... with the right ambiance.. making it sound like an opera.. still remember the theme song for flash gordon? (or maybe you're too young to recall it). with minimal lyrical content, queen made an epic soundtrack for that movie.. well i bet if you are to watch it right now, all the effects would be dwarfed by all the CGIs and what not... but the soundtrack.. i'd say they're at par with what we're having now, still.

Figure 1.1 Flash gordon.. the kickass 80s movie

another favorite of mine would be the theme song for highlander, princes of the universe (princes as in plural for prince, not the female 'princess'). that piece alone made the movie even more memorable. and i dare say that the musical arrangement by far exceeded its time. the music could really sound like what we would hear nowadays, well minus the current electro crossover here and there lah. they got a kickass video to boot with it as well..

Figure 1.2 Highlander, there can be only one!

today.. i would say that adam lambert (yes 'the' adam lambert) have the potential to shine like freddy did. vocal wise.. he could really pull something similar.. the epic touch.. opera taste.. the feel.. i really think he can do it. he's also gay like freddy.. people often associate mika with freddy.. but if adam lambert were to do something like that, he'd definitely make it. but no.... he chose to have a popish single with a dodgy cover album instead. what a waste of talent i tell you! he could've been more... but he opted to just be another pop singer.. screw him.. there are rumors that the remaining members of queen invited him for a session.. lets see if that'd become a reality.

and this one... a personal favorite of mine... somebody to love. you might recall this song from the movie happy feet, sung by i dont know who... and also from the movie ella enchanted.. sung by anne hathaway.. now that was rockin' good (her as well =p).. so here we go.. the original version!



Somebody To Love by Queen

Can anybody find me somebody to love?
Each morning I get up I die a little
Can barely stand on my feet
Take a look in the mirror and cry
Lord what you're doing to me
I have spent all my years in believing you
But I just can't get no relief,
Lord!
Somebody,(somebody) somebody(somebody)
Can anybody find me somebody to love?
I work hard every day of my life
I work till I ache my bones
At the end I take home my hard earned pay all on my own -
I get down on my knees
And I start to pray
Till the tears run down from my eyes
Lord - somebody - somebody
Can anybody find me - somebody to love?
(He works hard)
Everyday - I try and I try and I try -
But everybody wants to put me down
They say I'm goin' crazy
They say I got a lot of water in my brain
Got no common sense
I got nobody left to believe
Yeah - yeah yeah yeah
Oh Lord
Somebody - somebody
Can anybody find me somebody to love?
Got no feel, I got no rhythm
I just keep losing my beat
I'm ok, I'm alright
Ain't gonna face no defeat
I just gotta get out of this prison cell
Someday I'm gonna be free, Lord!
Find me somebody to love
Can anybody find me somebody to love?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love somebodh to love sang by anne hathaway dlm ella enchanted. It was funny mase dia nyanyi kt giant kingdom tu

Azzam?? said...

a'ah love it as well... i rasa i have a thing for anne hathaway now... even dalam valentine's day pun i suka dia ngan topher grace nyer r'ship! dia sangat cute kot dengan scooter dia tu =p

reena said...

Hail to the Queen!